Friday, January 30, 2009

Fireproof

So I am at Blockbuster the other night returning some DVDs and the woman in front of me is holding Kirk Cameron's movie 'Fireproof'. I haven't seen it yet but I have heard so may great things about it. (For those of you who are unfamiliar it is a Christian based film about saving a marriage).

The woman was asking the clerk about it so I chimed in with my two cents. I told her that I had heard it was a great flick, that Kirk was a great Christian, and it was about the beauty of making a marriage work.

She looked at me, looked at the clerk and said, ' Alright, let me go find another movie then.'


I was floored. It really made me start thinking about our societal view of entertainment.

Did she put the movie back because it was about marriage and two people making it work? Did she put it back because she didn't want to watch a functional movie that highlights the strength and courage it takes to make a marriage work? Did she put it back because there was no violence, profanities or sex?

Overall I felt as if my perception of the 'world' shifted even more negatively as I watched her put the movie back and walk away. We are entertained by gore, violence, sex and dysfunction. Our television shows, music, and movies reflect one dysfunctional situation after another. Kirk Cameron makes a move that is realistic and functional and it gets put back on the shelf because it is not entertaining enough. What does that say about our society?


The only thing I could think was to pray hard that we can try to live IN this world but not OF this world.

I am so proud of Kirk Cameron for using his time and talents to make a movie that celebrates marriage. If you get a chance (you know I will!) go out and rent 'Fireproof'. Help support those individuals who are trying to spread the Gospel message anyway they can....

Photobucket


2 comments:

  1. Ellen, Thanks for the comment on my blog and thanks for the prayers sent my way. Much appreciated! Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara, thanks for the movie recommendation! Last night Paul and I were at Redbox looking for a movie to rent and I saw Fireproof. I told him that I'd heard it was supposed to be good, so we rented it and both really enjoyed it!

    -Rachel Larpenteur

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcomed. Please remain respectful! Thanks :)

Blog Archive

Technorati

Add to Technorati Favorites