
While enjoying my two hour plane delay on the way to Florida I read an interesting article in the St. Anthony Messenger. It was an article about St. Hunna who is known solely as the 'Holy Washer Woman'. What?! The story says that St. Hunna was of a higher social standing and washed the clothes of the poor. I guess I could consider my life and St. Hunna's life as one in the same... pre-canonization of course. I often feel that I should be getting mani-pedi's but instead I am resigned to washing juice stained shirts. I envision a personal masseuse but instead I am attempting to match socks that may never have even had a mate in the first place.
But there is something heart warming about knowing that our beautiful Church recognizes the holiness of a woman who is only known for washing clothes. What love she must have shared with the community with every shirt and pant she washed. And even more amazing is knowing that sanctity can be obtained through such a mundane task. This in itself is a moms dream as this information lets us know that all our efforts with laundry, dishes, etc. will not be unnoticed. We can be saints through our washing machine. The secret is doing so with love in our hearts; knowing that all things can be done for the greater glory of God.
Of course, this is the part that I forget: to 'wash in love'. Maybe it's time to put a picture of Jesus next to the washing machine. Then I can keep my eyes on Christ no matter what may be doing.
Have you ever seen the picture of Mary hanging laundry with Baby Jesus playing on the ground? I have it hanging in my kitchen to remind me to do my household chores with love just as Mary did.
ReplyDeleteI like the "Kitchen Madonna" --little statues of Mary you put in your kitchen to remind you of your holy calling. Mary did Jesus' laundry!
ReplyDeleteI used to be very angry when I did the dishes--and then I realized that by doing simple manual labor for my family, I am blessing them.
Thanks- I needed this today! I was just thinking yesterday it's so disheartening that the dishes or the laundry are never really done. Going from professional to stay-at-home mom, it's hard to get used to my to-do list being exactly the same every day. I like the idea of putting a picture of Jesus by the laundry. I think I'll do that today.
ReplyDelete