Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Martha Martha



Part II of my rather long delay at the airport led me to another article of interest. This one about Martha. For all the times I have read Luke 10:41-42 I never really saw it in the light I did at the airport in Tennessee. I felt like reading Jesus' words to Martha could be directly spoken to me. He says,

"Martha, Martha you are anxious and worried about many things. There is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part and it will not be taken from her". Luke 10:41-42

Now Martha is someone I can relate to. She is hardworking, focused, and manages an entire household. All the while she is completely missing the mark. And Martha had Jesus right in front of her and she was still missing the mark! It is just amazing to me to think of Jesus saying, 'You (Martha) are anxious and worried'. First of all, how did He know? Was her face worried? Was she scurrying about trying to get things done? Maybe biting her nails?

I know that mindset; anxious, scurrying about in order to get things done. And I can almost hear Jesus specifically talking to me. What is important is the next line. Jesus says to look to Mary. To look at what she has embraced and see that her peace will always be with her because she has chosen the Lord. And truthfully, I am sure Martha thought she was doing well, doing the right thing. But she was so busy getting things done that she forgot to turn her heart over to the Lord. Fortunately for her she had the actual Lord to let her know what she was doing wrong!

Lord, help us to put the things of non importance aside and always keep our hearts open to You. Help us to embrace Martha's servitude and Mary's heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcomed. Please remain respectful! Thanks :)

Blog Archive

Technorati

Add to Technorati Favorites