
The sun came out today. It is still cold, don't get me wrong, but there is a shining, bright sun.... It is reminding me of something... HOPE.
It has been a long time since I have had to experience a true winter. In Florida (yep, Florida) there is no winter. There is a cold day here or a cold day there but usually winter in Florida is glorious. (Seriously glorious!)
But up here in the North I have experienced winter (albeit a light winter according to most of the locals) and this surprisingly sunny day has began to rejuvenate my soul! Aside from the promised Vitamin D, the sun has provided me with hope that winter is coming to an end. I am amazed by how the seasons tie into the liturgical year up North. In college my Northern girlfriends would make fun of me as I knew none of the 'rules'. White shoes after Easter, bright, pastel clothing for Easter day, etc. I mean in Florida anything goes all the time!
Back to my sunshine.... It is as if God gives me this day to say -listen, Lent is rough and barren. This is why it is called desert time. But it will not be cold forever. My son will rise again and you will rejoice. The winter months will end and you will participate in the eternal springtime.
It is beautiful to think that this time of grey and cold will turn to a time when our flowers will grow, our food will be planted and our hearts will be created anew. I pray that Lent continues to be a time of sacrifice and reflection. I pray that I can appreciate the desert (My winter) so that when Christ is resurrected I may truly REJOICE!


No comments:
Post a Comment
All comments are welcomed. Please remain respectful! Thanks :)