Thursday, March 12, 2009

Endow and the New Feminism



ENDOW is a Catholic educational program that brings women together to discover their God-given dignity and to understand their role in humanizing and transforming society. ENDOW utilizes small study groups, conferences and retreats to cultivate faith, fellowship and formation.

What an AMAZING study!


It goes through the letter Pope John Paul II wrote to all women thanking them for being women. He addresses woman of every faith and highlights the woman's vital role in the world. JP II specifically thanks woman who are mothers, wives, consecrated, working and every woman. He recognizes the beauty of a woman's very being and the various attributes that make up femininity. In a world where femininity is so confused it is nice to have a documented letter recognizing the many beautiful roles we have.


Foremost, our beloved JP II stresses the importance of human dignity. As stated in the study, 'dignity' is inherent, inalienable, inviolable that exists because of our very being.


Society has no right to minimize dignity as it was not the one to create it.


Dignity is perfectly coupled with the notion that we are created in the image and likeness of God. And consequently, human rights are directly connected to dignity. This can make one question what right any government may have in determining the worth of a human being (e.g. China, etc.).


The study went on to identify Mary, the Mother of God, as an active participant in the saving work of God through Christ's Incarnation. Because she had free will and intellect she essentially had the right to say no to the angel Gabriel's news of her becoming the Christ Bearer. But she said YES and did so with free will. Who better a role model for all women than Mary? I love that her 'fiat' (her yes) was so passionate and humble. And her example shows us a way to open our hearts and minds to Christ in all His glory and proclaim our fiat.


Femininity has really been destroyed by society. Now when I look at my three year old I am reminded that my job to educate will go far beyond the alphabet and numbers. Somewhere along the line I will have to teach her, with the guidance of the Holy Spirit, that her self worth is not based solely on her sexuality or her titles. Her dignity is rooted in the 'Image and Likeness of God'! I mean I can hardly understand that myself! I want her to know that her femininity is a gift and an opportunity to really change the world for the better.


This 'New Feminism' gets me so pumped up. It is the truth that has always resonated in our hearts but was stifled by the lies of the world. Somewhere I always knew that being a woman was not equal to actually being more masculine but the world tells us it is. Somewhere in my heart I knew that embracing my feminine traits would make me more beautiful even though the world told me that femininity means you are weak. I am so excited to do this study again and can't wait to pass on the wisdom of Pope John Paul the Second!









1 comment:

  1. I'm going to have to look into this! It sounds amazing. I did Familia for a full year and started the second but stopped when I had Dayna. This study sounds really cool!

    I don't mind if you link...Do whatever ya feel like :0) That you for the compliments!It was fun!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcomed. Please remain respectful! Thanks :)

Blog Archive

Technorati

Add to Technorati Favorites