Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Preparing for Christmas

Could it be that the first Sunday of Advent is almost here? I know you are thinking, Wait! We havent even finished with Thanksgiving! I have decided this year to truly keep the spirit of Christ at the forefront of our Christmas season. I am amazed by how easily I become distracted by the bright lights, the store advertisements and the gift giving. But not this year. This year I have a plan.

1. Every time my little one mentions 'presents' I follow it up with an excited voice exclaiming 'How wonderful that we get to celebrate Jesus' birthday with presents'! She in turn gets very excited about a birthday party for Jesus.

2. A birthday party for Jesus. We will make a cake and make sure to sing to the Lord of Lords!

3. Christmas shopping- completed before December 1st. I am so happy not to be distracted with 'buying' this December.

4. Advent Wreath- I will post more about this later. But I am excited to have a little one who will be able to understand (sorta) what is going on! (She is three almost four. We'll work with what we can).

What do you do to keep Christ the reason for the season?

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited about Advent this year too!! I think it's the most excited I've been about it in years. Not that I wasn't before, but with all of the added pressures and stresses around the season, it got overlooked BIG time. Enjoy Advent with your little one. She'll more than understand a ton this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to get my shopping done in time, and we have an Advent chain (just construction paper circles all linked together...one for each day) that we get to rip off a link after our nightly prayers. The kids LOVE doing it and seeing the chain dwindle down to nothing!

    I also draw a manger, and each time the kids do a good deed, they can draw a piece of hay in the manger to get ready for Jesus' birth.

    Finally, instead of saying that "Santa is watching" so they will be good, we say "Jesus is watching, and he's friends with St. Nicholas!"

    I'm gonna post about all this next week :)

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcomed. Please remain respectful! Thanks :)

Blog Archive

Technorati

Add to Technorati Favorites