As you may know, I have a friend who is 32 and has recently experienced three strokes. He is in shape having just ran a marathon last year. He has five children, a beautiful bride and a thriving non-profit organization called 'Dirty Vagabonds' that ministers to inner-city kids. He is an amazing example of Christ's call to be apostles for the Lord and preach the Gospel. You can read about his recovery here at www.prayfortheb.com. (Please continue to pray for Bob and his family).
Once I heard about his stroke I felt like the wind had been knocked out of me. How can a 32 year old, strong and hilarious man be taken down by a stroke? Why does this type of thing happen?
Last night I read a post by his faithful brother. In this post he shared about the miracle that had taken place. I expected a full recovery. They rejoiced because he was able to move his left hand. I burst into tears. His left hand? I guess I knew that he is unable to use the left side of his body but I just didn't process it.
After a few moments it occurred to me that this is indeed a miracle. When tragic things happen like a stroke I think it takes you back to the basics. Things that may have never crossed your mind as a miracle from God suddenly become precious and treasured. If your loved one is fatally sick every extra amount of time that he or she lives becomes a miracle. Every breath, every word, every gesture suddenly becomes a miracle.
Maybe this is a reminder to that life is indeed precious. And every breath is a miracle. I want to take the time today to really look at my daughter and see the miracle of life in her being. I want to look at my husband and see the love of God through him. I want to be thankful for the miracle of the sun when we have had much rain in the past few days. I don't want to take for granted that my left hand moves freely to type, to hug, to love on my dog, to blow kisses to my three year old and especially to receive the Eucharist today at Mass.
My heart aches for those who are experiencing the pain of a loved one who is ill. Or a loved one who has recently passed away. May God bless your Sunday and may you embrace the miracle of life today!
Sunday, September 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
►
2011
(1)
- ► 06/26 - 07/03 (1)
-
►
2010
(62)
- ► 11/21 - 11/28 (4)
- ► 10/31 - 11/07 (1)
- ► 08/29 - 09/05 (1)
- ► 06/06 - 06/13 (1)
- ► 05/09 - 05/16 (1)
- ► 05/02 - 05/09 (1)
- ► 04/25 - 05/02 (1)
- ► 04/18 - 04/25 (1)
- ► 04/11 - 04/18 (7)
- ► 03/28 - 04/04 (3)
- ► 03/21 - 03/28 (4)
- ► 03/07 - 03/14 (3)
- ► 02/28 - 03/07 (4)
- ► 02/21 - 02/28 (2)
- ► 02/14 - 02/21 (8)
- ► 02/07 - 02/14 (3)
- ► 01/31 - 02/07 (6)
- ► 01/24 - 01/31 (2)
- ► 01/10 - 01/17 (5)
- ► 01/03 - 01/10 (4)
-
▼
2009
(181)
- ► 12/20 - 12/27 (1)
- ► 11/29 - 12/06 (1)
- ► 11/22 - 11/29 (2)
- ► 11/15 - 11/22 (2)
- ► 11/08 - 11/15 (2)
- ► 11/01 - 11/08 (1)
- ► 10/25 - 11/01 (3)
- ► 10/11 - 10/18 (3)
- ► 10/04 - 10/11 (5)
- ► 09/20 - 09/27 (5)
- ► 09/13 - 09/20 (1)
- ► 09/06 - 09/13 (3)
- ► 08/30 - 09/06 (2)
- ► 08/23 - 08/30 (3)
- ► 08/09 - 08/16 (2)
- ► 07/26 - 08/02 (5)
- ► 07/19 - 07/26 (1)
- ► 07/12 - 07/19 (1)
- ► 07/05 - 07/12 (2)
- ► 06/28 - 07/05 (2)
- ► 06/21 - 06/28 (4)
- ► 06/14 - 06/21 (1)
- ► 06/07 - 06/14 (2)
- ► 05/24 - 05/31 (2)
- ► 05/17 - 05/24 (1)
- ► 05/10 - 05/17 (3)
- ► 05/03 - 05/10 (4)
- ► 04/26 - 05/03 (9)
- ► 04/19 - 04/26 (7)
- ► 04/12 - 04/19 (6)
- ► 04/05 - 04/12 (5)
- ► 03/29 - 04/05 (6)
- ► 03/22 - 03/29 (8)
- ► 03/15 - 03/22 (7)
- ► 03/08 - 03/15 (11)
- ► 03/01 - 03/08 (5)
- ► 02/22 - 03/01 (4)
- ► 02/15 - 02/22 (4)
- ► 02/08 - 02/15 (10)
- ► 02/01 - 02/08 (7)
- ► 01/25 - 02/01 (5)
- ► 01/18 - 01/25 (7)
- ► 01/11 - 01/18 (11)
- ► 01/04 - 01/11 (1)

I went to college with Bob and Kate - this is so scary. He is in my prayers and is serving as a great reminder to not take our life and health for granted.
ReplyDeleteTara, that was beautiful, thank you for sharing, i need to check my blog dashboard more often. p.s. when did you get a dog????
ReplyDelete