Saturday, April 4, 2009

le Monde

Le Monde is the largest newspaper in France. As you may have heard, Le Monde published a blasphemous cartoon on March 19 showing 'Our Lord' handing out prophylactics to the excited masses with the caption "The multiplication of the condoms followed the multiplication of the loaves."The cartoon targeted the Pope too. He was depicted as a decrepit old man who says: "Anything goes!"

Many offended Catholics have sent a note to Le Monde expressing their protest. Below is the email address and example note you may send.

Send it to courrier-des-lecteurs@lemonde.fr:

Le Monde: As a Catholic, I was dismayed and offended by your newspaper publishing a sacrilegious cartoon showing Our Lord Jesus Christ handing out prophylactics from a boat to the excited masses. The cartoon depicts Christ and the Pope saying things that are sacrilegious. This is offensive and hurtful to the Catholic faith. In response, I demand that you apologize for the cartoon and pledge never to publish such offensive material again. Thank you for your time.

6 comments:

  1. Oh how disgusting and inappropriate!

    I love how the note to Le Monde says "I demand". Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is horrible! Not surprising that it came from Europe though. It's too bad that most of the world, including other Christian demoninations, have given into the contraceptive lie. We once were all united against this lie, and I am so glad that the Pope was the only one who stood firm against the pressure of the secular world. It is sad that only the Catholic Church will stand up to the truth, and will have to be attacked because of that...I guess that is what the Lord was referring to in Scripture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sent my letter crude humor is debasing to everyone not just those targeted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pestkaj,
    Freedom of the press... I had to think only a moment about this. Do I believe that publications have the right to write whatever they want? I do within reason.

    I believe that when published articles/ cartoons are offensive to religion, race, ethnicity, or culture there is a problem. If a writer does not agree with something like the Pope’s statement on the use of condoms then he has every right to write what he or she wants. What I do not support is purposeful slander or hurtful cartoons that are offensive to God. I didn’t support the offensive Muslim cartoons done a few years ago and I will not support future cartoons of the same manner. Writing that debases, degrades, and destroys our communities does not contribute in any manner other than continuing the cycle of discrimination.

    Of course this is just my opinion. Thanks for stopping by and your puggle is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand what you are saying, particularly in regards to discrimination.I don't believe that cartoon perpetuates any form of discrimination, however.
    And I also know that not everyone believes in the same God. So when I see such things and am offended I try to keep in mind that those sorts of things are what give me my religious freedom. I value that freedom so highly that I gladly turn the other cheek at what I believe is offensive. Because it is just that- my belief. If anything the cartoon creates discussion around this important issue.

    Thanks for your response...

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcomed. Please remain respectful! Thanks :)

Blog Archive

Technorati

Add to Technorati Favorites